Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Here and there

I graduated in April 2010 but didn't really break free from the shackles that was law school until October 2010, when my bar examinations ended. I knew that the review would be long and tedious, as I had to read through, and commit to memory, four years worth of law subjects in just four months. So just before I buckled down to study, I went on a five-day road trip to the south with a good friend.

Bagasbas, Camarines Norte

We didn't have an itinerary. All that we had decided was to head for Bagasbas in Camarines Norte. From our research, we expected the ride to take ten hours but it was longer than we had expected. It took us about eleven hours to reach Daet and another hour just to get to Bagasbas.

Bagasbas is a surf spot. There were a few lodges lining the shore of Bagasbas, just behind the barricade, most of which rented out surf boards and offered surfing lessons.


The sand is not pristine, not white, but it was fine enough that you'd want to walk barefoot. The coast was long, barricaded by a sea wall, about fifty meters from the shore.

We stayed at the cheapest lodging we could find. It was a fan room with two beds. It was not clean, not comfortable, not airy. But it was cheap and we were on student budgets then. The caretaker informed us that the area fronting the property was for campers, which they rented out for three hundred pesos, usually during surf season. We found a place to eat, ordered bicol express (the best I've had) and relaxed a little. After our late lunch, we headed back to our room to rest. So tired from the long ride, we ended up sleeping at 6:00 pm and waking up at 8:00 a.m.

The following morning, I went for a quick swim. The waves were punishing so I decided to get out immediately. When we got back to the resort, we were told by the caretaker that there was a lagoon of sorts just a five-minute walk away. We went there so we can relax and swim a little. As it turned out, behind our resort was a huge farm lot with sheep. Real sheep.



We reached the so-called lagoon soon enough. It was not a blue lagoon. In fact, I wouldn't really call it a lagoon to be perfectly honest. It was what looked like an estuary, where the river and sea converges. The sand was really soft and the water, lukewarm, but it was secluded, quiet and beautiful.



Staying there until we got son-burnt, we realized something. There wasn't really much too see or do in Bagasbas if you weren't a surfer. The beach there isn't for people who just wanted to lie on the sand and sleep and maybe swim a little. I wish I tried surfing, then and I don't even remember why we didn't. Because we didn't have any other plans, we decided to head to Camarines Sur and find an island or a beach where we could stay. The drive to Camarines Sur took about three hours. There were no establishments along the way, no places to eat, and we soon regretted our decision not to eat breakfast. It was 2 p.m. when we found an eatery beside a gas station, at the junction where the road from Manila, Camarines Norte and Camarines Sur meets.

We drove around the area, asking for directions to the nearest beach. Any beach, we told them. They directed us to a beach an hour away from Pili. I can't remember where it was exactly, or what it was called. I only remember that it was near a port, and that there weren't many tourists willing to drive there.We found the cheapest, and saddest accommodations I've ever seen in that area. A 2x4 room, with just a mattress and a light bulb inside.



We were told we could rent a boat to take us to a "virgin island" with white sand. We gladly took the offer, just so we could have our fill of beach bumming. It was, as unenthusiastically described by the resort owner, "maganda." It was, really. The best part was that we had it all to ourselves. The worst part is that there was literally no food there and we were lucky we brought two bottles of Red Horse, some chips, gatorade, and vienna sausage.



There is just so much world to see and it was unfortunate for me that on my return from that fairly random and unplanned trip to that beautiful island, I had to go back to studying for the bar exams and waste away for five months. But there were other things I needed and wanted to do, like become a lawyer, for instance, so buckle down I did.

 I've never forgotten that view, though I've forgotten the name of the island. During my review, I'd close my eyes and see, that blue sky and blue sea, the soft waves crashing towards the white sand and I'd tell myself it won't be long before I'd sit in front of that majesty again. I didn't need the pictures. I remembered them well but did not want to go back. I wanted to go elsewhere, everywhere. I wanted to be here and there, as often as I could.

So in the last four years since the exams (which I passed, by the way) ended, I've done a lot of being here and there. I have friends who have traveled more than I have, but, considering the circumstances, I think I've done well.

So let me tell you more about that--being here and there, in the last four years.


No comments:

Post a Comment